Welcome to Maccaferri Canada Ltd.
Steel Grid™ (Rock Mesh)
Used as a drapery system, or as a secured drapery (if coupled with anchors) Steel Grid™ (Rock Mesh) is designed to prevent rockfall and debris from falling onto roads, railways or where there is a possibility of loss of property or life.
Steel Grid™ (Rock Mesh) is a woven composite product made of steel wire and metallic ropes woven together during the production of the double twisted wire mesh. It is used as a passive drapery system that guides the fall of the rock to a trench or as a secured drapery, if coupled with anchors. It is particularly suitable for rockfall protection as a surface or soil veneer slope stabilizer. With these problems, it is crucial that the mesh system selected provides the high resistance with minimal deflection, in order to limit the displacement of the unstable surface rock mass (typically 1-1.5m3). Important factors include:
- the stiffness or rigidity of the facing mesh
- the forces transmitted to the anchors
- the ease of installation of the mesh system
Steel Grid™ (Rock Mesh) is generally used for larger rocks than the simple drapery using steel wire mesh. The double twist wire provides a high resistance to the thrust and impact of rocks avoiding the propagation of wire ruptures. The wire mesh has two functions: protecting the area from smaller rock and a connecting device for the rope panel.
Steel Grid™ (Rock Mesh) B900 or B600 is a woven composite product made of steel wire and metallic ropes woven together during the production of the hexagonal double twisted wire mesh. The metallic ropes are used in place of the conventional selvedge wire and are also inserted longitudinally in the woven mesh. Metallic ropes are also inserted in the cross direction of the double twist of the mesh and secured to the edge ropes during the production.The weaving of the ropes inside the steel mesh creates a cable panel of 2 ft (0.61 m): Steel Grid™ B600 or 3 ft (0.91 m): Steel Grid™ B900. The steel cable is secured using the wire mesh connection strength. By using the flexibility of the mesh and the cable, the installation of this system is very fast and easy, in comparison to other products on the market.Steel Grid™ HR is a woven composite product made of steel wire and metallic ropes woven together during the production of the hexagonal double twisted wire mesh. The metallic ropes are used in place of the conventional selvedge wire, and are also inserted longitudinally in the woven mesh, every 100 cm (Steel Grid HR® 100), or 50 cm (Steel Grid HR® 50), or 30 cm (Steel Grid HR® 30). The metallic ropes in the Steel Grid HR® are straight and can give the possibility to the mesh, to reach tensile resistance up to 170 kN/m, with really low punch deformations.Maccaferri Steel Grid™ (Rock Mesh) advantages:
- Very fast installation compared to similar product (the great economic benefit of Steel Grid® HR is achieved from the fact that two different products can be installed simultaneously (mesh and steel cables), reducing the overall project costs and increasing savings on installation time.)
- No overlap between the panels
- Different types of wire coating: Zinc, Galfan: Zinc + Aluminum (5%), and PVC
- Superior durability with PVC coated steel wire
- Four colors available (Black, Brown, Tan and Gray)
- High connection strength between wire mesh and steel rope
Back to Products list